Dragon Tail Shawl
I made this shawl very quickly, because I was eager to see how easy the work can proceed as all Bernat yarn knitters say. I enjoyed every second, hope you all like what I've designed. It's really easy after learning how to knit five stitches into the yarn over of the previous row.
GET printable PDF for this pattern here.
- Bernat pop; 5 oz/ 140 g, 280 yds/ 256m approx.
- Moonshadow 84008, 2 balls.
- Size U.S. 10 (6 mm) circular knitting needle, 36" (90 cm).
- Tapestry needle.
Yardage: 540 - 550 yds/ 490 - 500 m.
Gauge: 15 sts x 27 rows = 4" (10 cm) in Garter Pattern.
knitting Terms (US):
- k = knit
- p = purl
- sl =slip stitch
- yo = yarn over
- k2togtbl = knit 2 stitches together through back loop.
- k3togtbl = knit 3 stitches together through back loop.
- k5fo = make 5 stitches out of one stitch: k1, p 1, k1, p 1, k 1 into the same yo of the previous row.
- To get the sequence of colors I prefer, I've started knitting the first Bernat pop from inside out, while the second one outside in.
- I eliminated the grey piece of the second one, because I didn't like the color much.
- To make the last stripe of scales knitted with one color, I cut out few yards/ meters of previous color.
- This is the link to how to make five stitches out of 1 stitch.
Cast on 4 sts: k 2, p 2, the first row.
start the pattern:
Row 1: sl 1, k 1,yo, k1, yo, k 1.
Row 2: k 1, k5fo, k 2, bring yarn to front, sl 1, p 1.
Row 3: sl 1, k 1, yo, k 8.
Row 4: k 9, bring yarn to front, sl 1, p 1.
Row 5: sl 1, k 1, yo, k 9.
Row 6: k 10, bring yarn to front, sl 1, p 1.
Row 7: sl 1, k 1, yo, k 10.
Row 8: cast off 5 sts, (which means 5 sts decrease out of k 6), k 5, bring yarn to front, sl 1, p 1.
Work rows (1-8) once as the first Scale of the (Dragon tail Pattern), then work the general pattern:
Dragon tail Pattern 1:
Row 1: sl 1, k 1, yo, k to last st, yo, k 1.
Row 2: k 1, k5fo, k to last 2 sts, bring yarn to front, sl 1, p 1.
Row 3: sl 1, k, yo, k to end.
Row 4: k to last 2 sts, bring yarn front, sl 1, p 1.
Row 5: repeat row 3.
Row 6: repeat row 4
Row 7: repeat row 3
Row 8: cast off 5 sts, (5 sts decrease out of k 6), k to last 2 sts, bring yarn to front, sl 1, p 1.
Repeat the pattern rows (1-8) 30 more time (or as you want your shawl's length to become).
Repeat row 1 one more time before starting to work the Dragon tail pattern 2.
Dragon tail Pattern 2:
Row 1: k 1, k5fo, k2togtbl, turn.
Row 2: k 7, turn.
Row 3: k 6, k2togtbl, turn.
Row 4: repeat row 2.
Row 5: repeat row 3.
Row 6: repeat row 2.
Row 7: cast off 5 sts, (5 sts decrease out of k 6), k3togtbl, turn.
Row 8: k 1, yo, k1, turn.
Repeat rows (1-8) 24 more times, repeat rows (1- 7) one more time, work last row:
Row 8: cast off first 6 stitches one by one, k3togtbl last remaining sts.
Weave in the loose ends.
Lastly, feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions or find something confusing in the pattern.
Happy crocheting/knitting! follow me on Instagram @wiams_crafts and Twitter @wiamscrafts to see my upcoming projects.