- Yarn; Florence 100% cotton 50 g/ 125 meter, one skein of colors; red, green and white. For the edging, Alize “diva silk effect” color 450 (1 skein) 100% Microfiber Acrylic (100g-3.52 Oz/350 mt-383yds).
- Hook size 3.5 mm, and size 3 mm.
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker
- 50 cm x 100 cm of red poplin cloth.
- Sewing threads of matching colors.
Size: 4 to 5 years
Chest: 68 cm (27”)
Length: 35 cm (13”)
Dress length: 70 cm (27.5”)yoke
The hexagon unit:
Make 12 of each color
Round 1: any cotton yarn, and 3.5 mm hook, start a magic ring, ch 3 (counts as a dc), dc 11, Sl st into the 3rd ch of the first 3 chs.
Round 2: ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in the same st, 2 dc into each st, sl st into the 3rd ch of the first 3 chs. (24 dc)
Round 3: ch 3 (counts as a dc), dc into the same st, *ch 2, 2 dc in the next st, dc in the next 2 sts, 2 dc in the next st*, repeat between ** till last 3 sts, ch 2, 2 dc in next st, dc in the last 2 sts, sl st into the 3rd ch of the first 3 chs, cut yarn, weave in thread.Sew the granny squares together using red yarn (or the color you prefer that matches the cloth) as shown in the picture.
With diva baby yarn, 3 mm hook, and Beginning at the 2 ch space of any two attached hexagons, with white yarn, bind thread on, (ch 1, sc, ch 3, sc) in the same 2 ch space, skip next st, *(sc, ch 3, sc) in the next st, repeat from * 2 more times, (sc, ch 3, sc, ch 5, sc, ch 3, sc) in 2 ch space that is not attached to other hexagon, (sc, ch 3, sc) in the next st, repeat 2 more times, **(sc, ch 3, sc) in the next 2 ch space, repeat from ** one more time.Work this edging pattern along two arm lines, neckline, and bottom yoke perimeter.
Sewing the skirt
Fold the cloth length wise to form a 50 x 50 two plies square, sew along back edges, make 3 pleads at the center front matching the pattern of the center front yoke, attach yoke to skirt using enough pins, sew.
Sew the skirt hem.
- Because I used cotton threads, I didn’t need to block the yoke.
- After I finished the dress, I noticed that the skirt should be wider, you can do that by making back pleads also, and in that case the dimensions of the cloth will be 50 cm x 130 cm.
- Each pleat is 10 cm width.